(November 1964)
Monument to the Martyrs of the Huaihai Campaign
The inscription on the Monument to the Martyrs of the Huaihai Campaign, calligraphed by Mao Zedong.
[ l]
The Monument to the Martyrs of the Huaihai Campaign was decided upon by the State Council on April 4, 1959, to be built in Xuzhou City, Jiangsu Province. Groundbreaking took place on April 5, 1960, and the monument was completed and opened to the public on October 1, 1965. In November 1964, Mao Zedong inscribed the name for the monument: “Monument to the Martyrs of the Huaihai Campaign.”